There’s nothing worse than kneeling on hard, dried up soil as we have this summer when attempting to pruggle about in the border. Stones and impacted ground can play havoc with joints making for uncomfortable working conditions. So let’s take a look at some of our kneelers to see which scrubs up the best and provides great protection whatever the weather.
- Kneelos®. Extremely comfortable shaped kneeling pads incorporating memory foam technology (just like the mattresses). Inside each pad is a deep layer of shock absorbing foam then the cushioning layer of memory foam allowing your knees to sink in but to be supported. It’s certainly not called an ultra cushion kneeler for nothing! Both layers are encased in waterproof neoprene which proves useful in our more soggy summers. Kneelos have a coloured or patterned uppers so it’s just a question of choosing your favourite.
- Knee pads. Sometimes you can be down the bottom of the garden when you realise you need to do some “down on all fours” work and there’s not a kneeler in sight. That’s when knee pads come in useful. Just fasten with the velcro strappings and away you go. You can kneel down whenever the need arises. Probably best to take them off again before you head out to the shops though.
- Heritage Kneeler. If you do a lot of gardening on hands and knees it’s probably best to opt for a heavy duty kneeler such as this one from Bradleys The Tannery. Made by craftsmen from tough waxed cotton and leather this provides a firm platform from which to plant or tackle the weeds. More expensive than others but it is a good size, 44 x 21 x 4cm, is tough and hard wearing and should last for years & years. Certainly one to consider if looking to buy a special gift for a keen gardener.
- Strawberry Thief Large Cushioned Kneeler. This kneeler is squidgier than some and there’s almost room for two! It means you can shuffle along a bit without having to get up and move the kneeler all the time. It has two carry handles, would double up as a comfy seating cushion and certainly should appeal to lovers of the famous Strawberry Thief Design.
- Dotty Kids Kneeler. One for kids plus it’s a comfy cushion for when they tire. Just the same as the adult Kneelos® but with a fun bright ladybird design. Budding gardeners can easily drag this around using the incorporated handle, help you when they wish or sit in the shade with a snack. How cute to garden side by side with children or grandchildren.
So there you have it- five of our recommended comfortable knee protectors for all types of gardeners. Click here to view our full collection and stop using old plastic sheeting or whatever. A good kneeler really does make a difference. Be kind to knees and enjoy more gardening.